Saturday, September 28, 2013

Research Update



Do Pull-Outs Create Success?


The focus of my research project is Algebra 1 SPED students and a “pull-out” program that reinforces the objectives that are being taught and that will be tested on the End of Course exam.  The state recently announced that “modified tests” would not be given after the current school year.  With this in mind, our district made the decision that any student entering high school after the 2013 test would remain on the “regular” test.  Several of these students had been taking the “modified” versions of math tests.  It is my goal as the Special Education teacher for the high school to help these students to be motivated to be successful by showing adequate improvement. 

During the summer months, I researched pull-out programs and read several pieces of literature.  After identifying the SPED students who were enrolled in Algebra I for the current school year, I met with the Algebra teacher (from who’s class I will be pulling the students) to discuss my plans for utilizing “pull-outs”.  We set a schedule for the students to come to the Content Mastery Center and discussed different strategies to use to increase their success in the area of mathematics.  I also pulled the data for each of the students from the DMAC system and reviewed their IEP’s so that I could look at the trends of each student and get an idea of their strengths and weaknesses.   I actually began my action research activities with the students during the second week of school.  I used the first few sessions with the students to build a rapport and assess their current skills in the area of mathematics.  I then gave each of the students a pre-assessment to get a general idea of their current knowledge of Algebra.  I am currently working with each of these students to understand the objectives being taught so that they can be successful in working independently.  At first, several of the students were resistant to being pulled-out.  Now that they are beginning to gain some confidence because of their success, they have much better attitudes and are excited about learning the skills.  I am feeling positive about the program at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment